Saturday, November 13, 2010

Seven Long Years

So, I met the girl of my dreams. I am madly in love. I was about to start a volunteer job for her father, my (hope to be future) father-in-law. He said, "Nonsense!" and asked me what I wanted in return for my work. It was exactly the question I hoped for. I told him I wanted to marry his daughter.
Therefore, I suggested on my own that I work day and night, slaving over his sheep, for seven years, if he would then let me marry his daughter afterwards. He agreed, and those 2555 days went by like the blink of an eye; I was so in love and waiting to marry this girl.
In fact, after the first day and night of work, I said to myself, "24 hours down, only about 612,000 more! I'm gonna be married in no time!"

I don't understand Yaakov. Why suggest to marry Rochel only after working for 7 years? After he was fooled, and got Leah instead, he married Rochel right after Sheva Brachos, and the 7 years for her started after marrying her. He could have done this in the beginning, as well. Also, how could it be that because of his love for her, the seven years went by so quickly for him? I think it would more likely be the opposite.