Sunday, June 27, 2010

Manalapan

I'm soon heading off to camp, in Manalapan, New Jersey. If you've been following my blog for any length of time, you'll realize that this is my third summer there.
Last year, I was very excited to go back. The day I stepped back onto the camp grounds, though, I suddenly lost all enthusiasm. I turned to a friend and said, "I can't believe I'm here again." I forged forward, though, and had a great summer.
This year I'm getting that feeling again, even before setting foot at camp. I hope the feeling passes, as it did before. Although we have a good time, it's also a ton of work. We wake up at six in the morning (did you know that the world still exists before 8 in the summer months?), and after a long day in the sun, we go to visit the kids at their houses. Normally we have to stop on the side of the road to daven mincha, because we don't get back to our house before 8 PM.
Last year we had a car called 'The Boat' that didn't have air conditioning. I would practically pass out in the ride back.

But there is satisfaction in the hard shlichus of camp. And the kids really do love us, and I've fallen in love with them; that is why I'm going back.

I wish everyone to have a healthy and fun summer. Have an easy fast this Tuesday. Don't expect any frequent posts from me, so you can use this time to read (or reread) any of my old posts.