Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Some Shel Poems

Here are some poems by Shel Silverstein:

Bituminous
The hard coal’s bituminous,
Or is that the anthracite?
Stalactites grow down from caves,
Or do I stalagmites?
Those fluffy clouds are nimbus--
No--wait--they might be cumulus.
And that kid who was raised by wolves--
Was he Remus--or Romulus?
The brothauruses ate no meat.
Does that means they’re carnivorous?
Or were they herbivorous?
A camel is a pachyderm--
Or do I mean dromedary?
Is this match inflammable?
I thought it was incendiary.
Octagons--no hexagons--
No, heptagons have seven sides.
And don’t spray fruit with pesticides--
Or do I mean insecticides?
If I can see right through a thing,
Is it transparent--or translucent?
These are just some of the things
I find confusing…or confuscent.

The Mummy
Wrapped myself in toilet paper,
Head to toe to tummy.
Wrapped myself in toilet paper,
Thought that I’d be funny.
Wrapped myself in toilet paper,
Thought they’d call me “Mummy.”
Wrapped myself in toilet paper,
They just call me dummy.