Thursday, January 28, 2010

I need help.

Ha, ha. Very funny.

No, not that kind of help. Or if I did, I wouldn't be revealing it on a public blog.

Instead, I need help with understanding our Parsha. AND THIS ISN'T A DVAR TORAH, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SKIP IT.

The very first possuk explains how Hashem led the Jews in a roundabout way, to avoid coming into contact with the Plishtim, who would start a war. The Jews would be novices in warfare, and Hashem wanted to let the Jewish people get used to being the Jewish Nation for a while, before dealing with such things. Rashi says he didn't want to scare the Jews. After all, they were running for their lives, away from the Egyptians, they would not be too relieved to see that what faced them was a mighty Plishtim army.

Okay, so that's the first possuk. In the second possuk, it says that the Jews left Egypt armed! They took weapons out with them! And that wouldn't scare the begeebees out of them?

Imagine leaving Egypt, and suddenly a man comes forward, and hands you a huge battle-ax you can barely carry. "Oh, my! What the heck am I supposed to do with this?" But he doesn't hear your question because he has already moved on past you to hand a deadly broadsword to the woman behind you.

So they were told, "Yeah, guys, don't worry, peaceful journey. Just make sure to polish these throwing knives we're handing out, and read the manual on deathgrips."

The only way to understand this would be to say that the Jews knew eventually they would have to fight wars, so really, taking all these weapons out with them would calm them, knowing they'd eventually be prepared, instead of freaking them out, as I originally described.

But I don't know. What do you guys think? I haven't looked up any meforshim, so maybe there's something there.