Monday, October 5, 2009

My Dark Past: A Simchas Torah Story

With the festive holiday of Simchas Torah coming up, here is a little story that takes place about four years ago, when I was a bochur in the zal in Los Angeles.

It was the new zman after Tishrei, and I was sitting with some friends around a table.
There was a calendar, printed by one of the local shluchim in the area.
I was flipping through it, examining the different dates for the coming year.
"Oh, no!" I said, drawing attention from my friend Levi sitting beside me.
"What? What's wrong?" he asked.
"Well, look. Next Simchas Torah is a third day Yom Tov. It goes Shmini Atzeres, and then Simchas Torah, and then Shabbos. With all the sweaty dancing, and no chance to shower for all that time...it's gonna be gross and nasty!"
Levi just looked at me for a long moment. Finally, he said, "Yossi. You are worrying about one shower a year from now!!!"

What else are friends for?