Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'm SuperBeard, not Superman

I'm very stressed out as of recently.
I know most of you are thinking, "What? Yossi? He's so poised and composed. He's the epitome of awesome. He's the best thing that happened to the internet since ebay."
Not those last ones? Well, that's what I was thinking at least.
Anywho, until I can get my Unlimited Time To Waste Plan (UTTWP) with my texting plan, I cannot do everything.
I do Jnet and MyShliach, each once a week.
Monday nights I started going to Park Slope to learn with Ba'alei Batim. (Tonight the guy I learned with wasn't very knowledgeable, but didn't want to learn about the actual laws, so we instead learned the Ani Ma'amins of the Rambam, printed with some short explanations in the Artscroll Siddur. (These are summations of the Rambam's 13 Ikrim))
I wanted to do Friendship Circle, also.
So last night I met the father of a special needs child, for an interview, to see what kind of guy I am.
He started talking about tutoring his son for two hours a day!!
When he mentioned being paid, I told him I was volunteering. He just stared at me, and I told him that I thought I would be giving an hour a week, and that's it. Possibly two hours.
I said that I couldn't possibly work out giving two hours a day, but maybe an hour a night.
We agreed I would come over for one night, as my 'volunteer friendship circle' hour anyway, and see if I thought I could fit an hour a night into my schedule.

I don't know what I was thinking. I shouldn't have let my emotions take control of me.
Moach Shalit Al HaLev. The responsible thing was to be responsible with my time and realize that my life is stressed too much with my focus on learning smicha, and the other stuff I do. So now I have to call him and break it to him that I won't be coming every night. I hope he can find somebody to learn with his son for the time his son needs and deserves. He offered to pay me a ton, though, so I don't think it would be too hard for him to find another person.
(Obviously it wouldn't be somebody who is better than ebay, but there must be someone...)