Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Don't go towards the light

One night last week, I was standing outside my dormitory, speaking on the phone.
It was about 2 in the morning, which is the time when my contacts have started to dry up, and the streets have quieted down to that peaceful silence and serenity (which in Brooklyn is still much louder than in most other cities...).
I was facing the street, and when I looked to my left, I saw a big, bright light zooming toward me.
I blinked, and tried to understand what was happening. I was on the sidewalk, after all; not in the street.
I finally registered that whatever it was, I should step out of its path. It turned out to be a motorcycle, speeding down the sidewalk! He then turned into an apartment complex before Troy.
His speed was reckless, and of course driving on the sidewalk was dangerous- for the both of us.

This reminds me of a joke:
When you see two headlights coming toward you, how do you know if it's two motorcycles, or a car?
Just stay in the middle between them. You'll find out soon enough if it was a car.