Wednesday, May 20, 2009

25 Random Facts About Me

This is officially supposed to be a note on Facebook, but I don't really like Facebook (post coming soon about it, maybe), so I thought I'd write it here. Also, I thought it would be more of a challenge to find things that most of my readers don't know. (But wouldn't your friends on facebook know more about you than we do?? No. They don't read my blog. They only know when my status changes three times a year, and that's the limit of their knowledge about me.)

  1. I used to have really cute blonde hair (now it's just brown.)
  2. I cried when I first heard that my family would be moving cross country (I was about 15.)
  3. I got a 2320 on my SAT's
  4. I don't look similar to my twin brother
  5. I started to finish the whole Tehillim every single shabbos mevorchim because of three unusual circumstances that created a chazaka for me: A) When I was in Pittsburgh, shiur gimmel, I went with some friends to visit Toronto's yeshiva, for a faher and to see if I'd like to go. It was shabbos mevorchim, and I wanted to make a good impression on Hanhala there. I wasn't going to not finish tehillim!!! B) The next month, I somehow got confused and thought that on Shabbos day, there would be an assembly for the girls' high school in our yeshiva, so I went over also (Chatasi Negdi Tamid). Of course, I was the only one there, and I had nothing better to do than finish Tehillim that I had started shabbos morning. C) The following month, we had a great farbrengen, and a friend of mine drank way too much. It was the first time I had seen anyone so wasted and on the brink of...well, wastedness. I was scared, so I sat with him and got him to drink water, and cleaned up his...well, it wasn't pretty, and I was so worried he'd not get over it...so I said Tehillim in between getting him to drink, mostly in his zchus to get better and not...not get better. So from those three clearly not L'Shma times, I had a chazaka, and from then on, k'nainah harah, I haven't missed one shabbos mevorchim to finish all the Tehillim, in these past four years or so.
  6. I learned how to play clarinet
  7. When I was 7 years old, I won for my state in a national contest for- "If you could ask the President one question, what would it be and why?" My question had something to do with a World War 3, and the winner nationally, arrgghh!! His winning question was-If you could ask the President when you were a kid, one question, what would it be and why? Cheap, no?
  8. I seriously considered donating a kidney last year after seeing signs stapled to lampposts down kingston avenue
  9. I hate asparagus, and sometimes cooked spinach, also
  10. I used to have bad acne, and I took Accutane, which was the most potant and powerful drug available. It somehow reconfigured the chemicals in my brain, and they had to meet me every month to make sure I wasn't going crazy (or pregnant...)
  11. In elementary school, I was the class clown, and often got in trouble for putting humor before my classmates' feelings
  12. I didn't like the options available to me, so for next year I created my own Smicha program that combines being a yeshiva bochur/being a shliach/learning smicha, all in one
  13. My family doubted whether I would have enough to say in order to have a blog, and if anyone would actually be interested in my life
  14. I'm a very light sleeper, and I can wake up the first time my alarm goes off.
  15. My favorite color used to be blue. I'm not sure if it still is. It depends if you're asking about my favorite color to wear, vechulu
  16. In school, I loved to read and write, and I always was a decent writer, but we'd have these standardized essay-writing tests (scored 0-4 by three judges) in 4th-7th grade, and I'd always do miserably.
  17. I was in public school for seventh grade. Even though I was most likely a nerd, everyone wanted to be friends with me, since I was the 'cool Jewish kid'. Some boys thought my Yarmulka was stapled to my head...
  18. I became Ba'al Tshuva with influences from others, but the decision was mine. I remember being about 9 and eating in a Treif restaurant, and announcing that I wanted to start keeping kosher always, even outside the house.
  19. The Rosh likes me.
  20. When I am talking excitedly, my voice will sometimes get louder and go higher, and someone will have to shush me.
  21. Most bochurim and shluchim call me the Head Shliach out of the 10 of us here.
  22. Starting from Parshas Noach, this year, I learned 58 sichas in 6 weeks, while fulfilling my shlichus responsibilities also
  23. I used to leave incredibly long messages for my friends, until they complained that they would forget it was a message, and start talking back to me
  24. I'm still not sure if I want to go on Shlichus after I get married
  25. I have to go to dinner now.