Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Matisyahu

A little while ago, Matisyahu the rapper came to our yeshiva to daven shacharis. Of course, nobody in mesivta knew about it, because he was davening in Zal. I happened to see him when I was looking for my gemara.
When seder started for mesivta, after breakfast, I told my guys that I learn with, "By the way, you know Matisyahu is here, right?"
One of the bochurim got really excited. He asked to leave, but I told him we had seder. He ran off anyway, telling me he'd be back soon.
A few minutes later he came back, huffing, and a little sweaty.
"Did you see him?" I asked.
"Nope. I went into zal, but they told me I just missed him!!"
"Then why are you so out of breath?"
"Well, I went around through the parking lot and I had to open the gate for this guy who didn't know the code."
-At this point, I already knew. The irony was to such an extent, that it had to be true. For humor's sake.-
I then smiled to myself, and asked him seriously, "Oh. And what did he look like?"
"I don't know... he had a high hair line, and a beard like this...."
I smiled at that point, and let it sink in.
"OHHH, noooo!!! Was that matisyahu!!?????"
"Yep."
He cried out in disbelief. "And I wanted to talk to him and shake his hand!!!!"

That was the best irony I was Zocheh to witness in a long time.